Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos holds roundtable talks at Valencia College
Newly appointed U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos visited Valencia College on Friday, and she took notes. Literally.
DeVos toured the Advanced Manufacturing Training Center in Kissimmee as she met with students and staff in learning labs.
"We need to do a much better job of highlighting the important work that community colleges do across this country to help students achieve their goals and their dreams," DeVos said.
After touring the learning labs, DeVos held a roundtable. Students then told her how skilled training has given them a career, not just a job. She also attended a roundtable about the dual-enrollment program at Valencia College.
DeVos said "it doesn't make sense" that students don't have access to summer financial aid.
"The needs of students are changing, and the needs of the workforce and industries are changing significantly," she said. "So, we need to think differently about how we help students pursue their education ... in the way that's going to work best for them."
Paul Threet, who received job training at Valencia, said he had been struggling in the construction field, living paycheck to paycheck.
"Then when the opportunity came for me to actually take a college program and to apply that to a career — not just a job, not just to go out and get a paycheck, but the actual career," he said. "It was amazing for me."
It was a sentiment echoed by DeVos.
"A way to enter a more skilled level of pursuit and some of the credentialing that you've talked about in the process around that is such a common sense approach in my view," she said.
Also see http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/education/school-zone/os-betsy-devos-valencia-campus-20170322-story.html
ph: (321) 682-4464
Leave a Reply
Terms and Conditions
Your access and use of the Haas Automation - HTEC Network website (the "Site") (www.HTECNetwork.org) is subject to the following terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions") and all applicable laws. By accessing and browsing the Site, you accept, without limitation or qualification, the Terms and Conditions and acknowledge that any other agreements between you and Haas Automation, Incorporated are superseded and are of no force or effect.
1. You should assume, unless otherwise noted, that everything you see or read on the Site is copyrighted and may not be used, except as provided in these Terms and Conditions or in the text on the Site, without the written permission of Haas Automation, Incorporated. Haas Automation, Incorporated neither warrants nor represents that your use of materials displayed on the Site will not infringe rights of third parties not owned by or affiliated with Haas Automation, Incorporated.
2. While Haas Automation, Incorporated uses reasonable efforts to include accurate and up to date information on the Site, Haas Automation, Incorporated makes no warranties or representations as to its accuracy. Haas Automation, Incorporated assumes no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content on the Site.
3. Your use and browsing of the Site is at your risk. Neither Haas Automation, Incorporated nor any other party involved in creating, producing, or delivering the Site is liable for any direct, incidental, consequential, indirect, or punitive damages arising out of your access to, or use of, the Site. Without limiting the foregoing, everything on the Site is provided to you "As Is," without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non infringement. Please note that some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so some of the above inclusions may not apply to you. Check your local laws for any restrictions or limitations regarding the exclusion of implied warranties. Haas Automation, Incorporated also assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for any damages due to computer viruses that may infect your computer equipment or other property on account of your access to, use of, or browsing in the Site, or your downloading of any materials, data, text, images, video, or audio from the Site.
4. Any communication or material you transmit to the Site by electronic mail or otherwise, including any data, questions, comments, suggestions, or the like, is and will be treated as non confidential and non proprietary. Anything you transmit or post may be used by Haas Automation, Incorporated or its affiliates for any purpose, including but not limited to reproduction, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast, and posting. Furthermore, Haas Automation, Incorporated is free to use any ideas, concepts, knowhow, or techniques contained in any communications you send to the Site for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to developing, manufacturing, and marketing products using such information. Images of people or places displayed on the Site are either the property of or used with permission by Haas Automation, Incorporated. The use of these images by you, or anyone else authorized by you, is prohibited unless specifically permitted by these Terms and Conditions or specific permission provided elsewhere on the Site. Any unauthorized use of the images may violate copyright laws, trademark laws, the laws of privacy and publicity, and communications regulations and statutes.
5. Unless otherwise noted, the trademarks, logos, and service marks (collectively the "Trademarks") displayed on the Site are registered Trademarks of Haas Automation, Incorporated. Nothing contained on the Site should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license or right to use any Trademark displayed on the Site without the written permission of Haas Automation, Incorporated or such third party that may own any Trademarks displayed on the Site. Your misuse of the Trademarks displayed on the Site, or any other content of the Site, except as provided in these Terms and Conditions, is strictly prohibited. You are also advised that Haas Automation, Incorporated will aggressively enforce its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law, including the seeking of criminal prosecution.
6. Haas Automation, Incorporated has not reviewed all of the sites linked to this Site (if any) and is not responsible for the contents of any off Site page or any other sites linked to this Site. Your linking to any other off Site pages or other sites is at your own risk. Although Haas Automation, Incorporated may from time to time monitor or review discussions, chats, postings, transmissions, bulletins boards, and the like that may appear on the Site, Haas Automation, Incorporated is under no obligation to do so and assumes no responsibility or liability arising from the content of any such locations, nor for any error, defamation, libel, slander, omission, falsehood, obscenity, pornography, profanity, danger, or inaccuracy in any information contained within such locations on the Site. You are prohibited from posting or transmitting any unlawful, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic, or profane material or any material that could constitute or encourage conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law. Haas Automation, Incorporated will fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing Haas Automation, Incorporated to disclose the identity of anyone posting any such information or materials.
7. Haas Automation, Incorporated may at any time revise these Terms and Conditions by updating this posting. You are bound by any such revisions and should therefore periodically visit this page to review the then current Terms and Conditions to which you are bound.
(or press ESC or click the overlay)