A Design Contest with a Reality Show Twist
Edge Factor and Randolph Community College are embarking on an audacious mission to empower students to become makers.
“Industry leaders, teachers, parents… At the heart of many of the challenges they face is the need to be relevant. Everything Edge Factor does directly goes back to helping people be relevant to the next generation,” said Jeremy Bout, Founder of Edge Factor. The storytellers and leading educational developers at Edge Factor are linking arms with Randolph Community College to host a student design competition with a reality show twist called Reality Redesigned. It’s a creative mashup of storytelling meets inventor, “Chopped” meets “Cards against Humanity” meets “Shark Tank”. Reality Redesigned is an unconventional design competition that allows imaginative students to connect with industry and educational mentors and collaboratively design solutions to outrageous scenarios.
“Edge Factor has seen the sparks ignite in students’ eyes when they realize that the STEAM subjects they are learning in school are the gateway to unlocking their futures,” said Joshua Pies, Producer from Edge Factor. “We are partnering with the RCC team to move the needle and do something big... To inspire students, reach parents and provoke a desire to create all across their region. The purpose of this initiative is to serve as a catalyst for students to realize their potential and dream up new solutions.”
On February 1, 2017, the audition phase of Reality Redesigned officially launches online for students to begin unlocking unique problems for their team to solve. Competitors begin by choosing three cards that provide a person, a place, and a challenge. Teams can keep flipping the deck until they get a combination that will inspire a ‘problem story’ for the team to creatively define through their own interpretation. From there, they will design and present solutions to their problem story by uploading team videos, pictures of drawings, CAD models, planning documents, estimating costs with the Wild-Guestimator, and other innovative ways to share their problem-solving descriptions.
This opportunity has been announced to 15,000+ students in grade 6-12 public and charter schools in Randolph County. Teams can consist of 6 middle or high school students and one mentor that can be a teacher, parent or businessperson.
On the “Day of Reckoning” (3/8/17), student projects lockdown and public voting will begin. Celebrity Judges will evaluate submissions throughout March and the combination of public votes and judge’s rankings will result in the announcement of the top 3 auditions (3/31/17). Soon after, the cameras will start rolling! The 3 teams will face-off on a reality TV show filmed at Randolph Community College, where they will be given a real-world challenge, a toolbox of resources and only 84 hours to dream, design, build and get ready to present their ideas. 3D Design, CNC machining, welding, and 3D printing will come alive as ideas flow from their heads to their hands. “Reality Redesigned is a great opportunity for middle and high school students that will directly address the interest gap and skills gap. We are not just going to talk about the gap issue, we are going to do something about it,” said Garrett Parker, Department Head, Computer Integrated Machining at Randolph Community College.
The three teams will present their 84 Hour Challenge creations to the Judges in front of a live audience of their peers. The Judges will go into sequester and the contestants will take a limo to a party with some of the most influential business leaders in the area. Broadcasting live from the ‘Party with the Presidents’, the Judges will make the announcement of the winner of Reality Redesigned: the “Stack your deck” pilot series (4/28/17).
“The Reality Redesigned competition will make learning real for students. It shows students how STEAM is used in real life and how creative problem-solving changes lives,” said Jessica Cutler, Career Development Counsellor, Southwestern Randolph High School. “This design competition is going to give students a unique outlet to let their imaginations run wild - and have the chance to bring those ideas to life! I can't wait to see what our students come up with.”
The journey begins at www.realityredesigned.com.
For more information, please contact Joshua Pies - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leave a Reply
Terms and Conditions
Your access and use of the Haas Automation - HTEC Network website (the "Site") (www.HTECNetwork.org) is subject to the following terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions") and all applicable laws. By accessing and browsing the Site, you accept, without limitation or qualification, the Terms and Conditions and acknowledge that any other agreements between you and Haas Automation, Incorporated are superseded and are of no force or effect.
1. You should assume, unless otherwise noted, that everything you see or read on the Site is copyrighted and may not be used, except as provided in these Terms and Conditions or in the text on the Site, without the written permission of Haas Automation, Incorporated. Haas Automation, Incorporated neither warrants nor represents that your use of materials displayed on the Site will not infringe rights of third parties not owned by or affiliated with Haas Automation, Incorporated.
2. While Haas Automation, Incorporated uses reasonable efforts to include accurate and up to date information on the Site, Haas Automation, Incorporated makes no warranties or representations as to its accuracy. Haas Automation, Incorporated assumes no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content on the Site.
3. Your use and browsing of the Site is at your risk. Neither Haas Automation, Incorporated nor any other party involved in creating, producing, or delivering the Site is liable for any direct, incidental, consequential, indirect, or punitive damages arising out of your access to, or use of, the Site. Without limiting the foregoing, everything on the Site is provided to you "As Is," without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non infringement. Please note that some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so some of the above inclusions may not apply to you. Check your local laws for any restrictions or limitations regarding the exclusion of implied warranties. Haas Automation, Incorporated also assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for any damages due to computer viruses that may infect your computer equipment or other property on account of your access to, use of, or browsing in the Site, or your downloading of any materials, data, text, images, video, or audio from the Site.
4. Any communication or material you transmit to the Site by electronic mail or otherwise, including any data, questions, comments, suggestions, or the like, is and will be treated as non confidential and non proprietary. Anything you transmit or post may be used by Haas Automation, Incorporated or its affiliates for any purpose, including but not limited to reproduction, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast, and posting. Furthermore, Haas Automation, Incorporated is free to use any ideas, concepts, knowhow, or techniques contained in any communications you send to the Site for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to developing, manufacturing, and marketing products using such information. Images of people or places displayed on the Site are either the property of or used with permission by Haas Automation, Incorporated. The use of these images by you, or anyone else authorized by you, is prohibited unless specifically permitted by these Terms and Conditions or specific permission provided elsewhere on the Site. Any unauthorized use of the images may violate copyright laws, trademark laws, the laws of privacy and publicity, and communications regulations and statutes.
5. Unless otherwise noted, the trademarks, logos, and service marks (collectively the "Trademarks") displayed on the Site are registered Trademarks of Haas Automation, Incorporated. Nothing contained on the Site should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license or right to use any Trademark displayed on the Site without the written permission of Haas Automation, Incorporated or such third party that may own any Trademarks displayed on the Site. Your misuse of the Trademarks displayed on the Site, or any other content of the Site, except as provided in these Terms and Conditions, is strictly prohibited. You are also advised that Haas Automation, Incorporated will aggressively enforce its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law, including the seeking of criminal prosecution.
6. Haas Automation, Incorporated has not reviewed all of the sites linked to this Site (if any) and is not responsible for the contents of any off Site page or any other sites linked to this Site. Your linking to any other off Site pages or other sites is at your own risk. Although Haas Automation, Incorporated may from time to time monitor or review discussions, chats, postings, transmissions, bulletins boards, and the like that may appear on the Site, Haas Automation, Incorporated is under no obligation to do so and assumes no responsibility or liability arising from the content of any such locations, nor for any error, defamation, libel, slander, omission, falsehood, obscenity, pornography, profanity, danger, or inaccuracy in any information contained within such locations on the Site. You are prohibited from posting or transmitting any unlawful, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic, or profane material or any material that could constitute or encourage conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law. Haas Automation, Incorporated will fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing Haas Automation, Incorporated to disclose the identity of anyone posting any such information or materials.
7. Haas Automation, Incorporated may at any time revise these Terms and Conditions by updating this posting. You are bound by any such revisions and should therefore periodically visit this page to review the then current Terms and Conditions to which you are bound.
(or press ESC or click the overlay)